Queer Women of Color Media Arts Project (QWOCMAP)
in association with YBCA presents the 8th annual
Queer Women of Color Film Festival
June 8, 9, 10, 2012
All film screenings of the 2012 Queer Women of Color Film Festival are FREE of charge.
The Film Festival is very popular and seats fill VERY fast.
Please read the seating policy below and plan to arrive early to ensure that you get in!
Tickets can be purchased at the door at the respective venues.
Seating Policies [^]
The Queer Women of Color Film Festival is FREE because of our commitment to economic justice.
Our screenings are always full, and to better accommodate our audiences, we have developed the following seating policies:
- Seating is first come, first served. Please arrive early to ensure seating!
- A limited number of advanced online ticket reservations will be offered by YBCA.
- Doors open an hour before each screening for a pre-screening reception.
- Those with advanced online reservations should proceed to the Will Call table.
- All others should proceed to the door for free tickets for general seating.
- NO seat saving is allowed. If you have a large party and want to sit together, you must arrive at the same time. Otherwise audience members will be given seat tickets on a first come, first serve basis.
- Please note that as with previous years, we will clear the theater in-between screenings and panels to facilitate turnaround times. This will allow us to better accommodate all our enthusiastic audience members.
- Film Festival parties will require separate entrance at the respective venues.
- QWOCMAP and the Queer Women of Color Film Festival are fully committed to Disability Justice. Many of our Staff, Board, Festival Team, Filmmakers, Community Partners, and volunteers are people with disabilities, so we ask that you work with us to make the Film Festival welcoming and enjoyable for all bodies.
- If you have any needs or requests, please communicate to one of the members of our Safety/Security Crew or our Self-Care Crew, who will be happy to help you.
- If you cannot wait in line, please walk/roll to the doors and communicate with our Safety/Security Crew. They will invite your to sit or wheel into the lobby.
- If you would like something to drink or eat, and are not able to wait in line, please let our Festival Team know and we will delighted to get you what you need. Please note, that while we strive to provide a number of vegetarian, vegan, wheat-free, sugar-free, allergen-free options, and to prevent cross-contamination, all of the food and drinks at the Film Festival are donated by local businesses. As a result, we do not always have all options to meet the needs of everyone. However, please let someone know if their are things such as nuts that you cannot eat and we will do our very best to accommodate you.
- The Novellus Theater is wheelchair accessible for audiences. There are no stairs required to enter the building, the lobby or restrooms, which are wheelchair accessible. The theater and lobbies can be accessed from the ground floor or via elevator.
- For the duration of the Film Festival, all restrooms inside the Novellus Theater are designated "All Genders Welcome!"
- The Novellus Theater has a limited number of assisted listening devices, which are available at Coat Check.
- We are currently not be able to provide ASL interpretation, although it is our hope to caption all screenings and provide ASL in the near future.
- This year, we're very happy with the opportunity provided by the Unfenced/Sin Valla screening on Sunday, June 10 at 2pm, which is subtitled in English. We are working with volunteer interpreters so that this program will be bilingual, Spanish and English.
- If you are in a wheelchair and tight crowds are uncomfortable, or if you need a quiet space away from the scintillating stimulation of the Film Festival reception, please communicate with the Safety/Security Crew and we will be happy to locate a less crowded area for you.
- We are working with the Novellus Theater to use scent-free products. We also request that all audience members refrain from wearing, bathing with or washing their clothing with scented products.
- If you wish to be seated in the Scent-Free Section for those of us with environmental illness, please notify the Ushers, who will be happy to seat you.
- Those with service animals will be seated in a different section so as not to spark allergies for others. If you have a hypoallergenic service animal and have environmental illness, you are welcome to sit in the Scent-Free Section.
- If you are a wheelchair user and would like to be seated with your party right away, please communicate with the Safety/Security Crew or Ushers. They will be happy to help you.
- If you need a chair without arms, please feel free to speak with our Ushers.
- If you find yourself triggered or in need of emotional support during any time, please go to the Front Desk where you will be connected to a volunteer crisis counselor. You may also communicate with the Safety/Security Crew, who will direct you to the appropriate person.
- Please help us to serve you better by communicating your needs and requests to any of our Self-Care Crew, Safety/Security Crew members (identified by red badges) or Festival Team (orange badges).
We also encourage you to read Five things to know about the Film Festival (Community & Solidarity Statements).